Venice is a beautiful city that offers many attractions and activities for visitors. Here are seven must-sees and dos when in Venice.
1. Visit the Palazzo Ducale, the former residence of the Doges of Venice and a masterpiece of Gothic architecture. You can admire the richly decorated rooms, the paintings by famous artists, and the Bridge of Sighs that connects the palace to the prison.
2. Explore the Basilica di San Marco, the most famous church in Venice and a symbol of its Byzantine heritage. The church has a stunning mosaic-covered facade, a magnificent dome, and a treasury of relics and artworks.
3. Take a gondola ride along the canals of Venice and enjoy the romantic atmosphere. You can see the charming bridges, the elegant palaces, and the colourful houses that line the waterways. A gondola ride is a quintessential Venetian experience that you should not miss.
4. Wander around the Piazza San Marco, the main square of Venice and the heart of its social and political life. You can see the impressive Campanile, the bell tower that offers a panoramic view of the city, the Torre dell’Orologio, the clock tower that displays the phases of the moon and the zodiac signs, and the Procuratie, the arcaded buildings that house cafes and shops.
5. Visit the Rialto Bridge, the oldest and most famous bridge in Venice that spans the Grand Canal. The bridge is a marvel of engineering and a popular spot for taking photos. You can also browse the stalls of the Rialto Market, where you can find fresh produce, fish, and local specialities.
6. Discover Murano Island, where you can see the art of glassmaking practised for centuries. You can visit the glass factories, watch the craftsmen at work, and buy beautiful souvenirs. You can also visit the Glass Museum, which displays a collection of glass objects from ancient times to modern days.
7. Visit the San Giorgio Maggiore Church, a masterpiece of Renaissance architecture designed by Palladio. The church has a striking white facade, a spacious interior, and a bell tower that offers a spectacular view of Venice.